Sunday, March 22, 2009

SPREE Pure Sport??

What is Sport? More importantly what is “pure” sport? Is pure sport just another tagline? Or is it indicative of something much bigger?

There is a saying: “Winning isn’t everything. It’s the only thing.” Its a saying comprising of two sentences the first of which i agree with. The second? Not so much.

Sport is not about going up a dias and lifting a trophy. It’s not about being the best everyday. (Right here I feel I sound like the loser talking :P. Anyway…) Sports is about something far deeper. Something inbuilt in us by mother nature. Sport is about passion. It is about desire. It is about belief and a whole bunch of other things.

So what makes sport “pure”. You will get a whole bunch of answers for that. Some would say when the outcome of any game is decided by sheer ability alone. Some would say when a game goes right down to the wire with one team sneaking away with a victory right at the death. Yes, these are some of the awesome things that happen in sport. But it’s not what makes for “pure” sport.

“Pure” sport to me is in fact when a player walks up to a hurt opponent and helps him to his feet. It is when a player can overlook a bad refereeing decision and carry on with the game without complaint. It is when at the end of a game the two teams walk toward each other and congratulate each other. THAT is “pure” sport.

So is this all I expect from SPREE?? Oh no of course not! I want to see mouth-watering clashes just like everyone else. I want to see monumental battles and game winning plays. But most of all I want to see people enjoying their favourite games. Whether it be cricket, football, basketball, tennis, badminton, table tennis or any other sport I want to see love for the game. It’s that love for the game that is more important than any trophy or medal you can ever win. Love for the game breeds sportsmanship. Sportsmanship is the key to “pure” sport. So is SPREE 2009 going to be about “pure” sport? I would honestly love to hope so.

Like I’ve said before. Sport is about passion, determination, strength and courage. But I sincerely hope that we remember that the most important part of sport is the spirit in which it is played. So to all teams and players I wish you guys all the best. And may the pursuit for “Pure Sport” begin!!

No comments:

Post a Comment