Thursday, March 19, 2009

Respect the Sport... Respect the refs...

Its a general idea in sport: "sportsmanship"... It's something you're taught as a child growing up... Give your hardest, give your best but acknowledge it when someone is better than you... And if you've ever attended any camp or trained for any sport the first thing your taught before any fundamental of the game is to respect the officials... Whether they be the referee or the umpire or just about anybody... Sadly in the recent "3ba" tournament here in BPGC that just went for a complete toss...

I will not take names... Not out of fear of "retribution" but out of pity... Because pity and contempt is all I have in me to give to them... Pity because all they've managed to out of all their actions is establish a reputation of sore losers... All I will say is this... In a tournament like this (one played purely for the fun of it and for the love of the game) such actions are unpardonable at best... I would in the words of Prashant Rao (Poppat) like to remind everyone that we are not professionals we are a bunch of noobs trying to enjoy playing our favourite game... But unfortunately there continue to exist a bunch of people (want to curse but I'll control) who basically ruin it for everybody...

I'll dwell into it a bit... Yes the refereeing was ordinary but it was ordinary both ways... While the team with the "crying" (sorry you've earned it) kept on complaining I didn't hear a whimper from the other team about the numerous carrying, travelling violations that were just ignored... Nor did I hear any whining about fouls on their players... Somehow it is you who seem to have the problem with everything... (Actually here I'd like to say one thing... More than anyone there is one player on that team who has the problem... Once again I will not name him but he knows I'm speaking about him since he's had a problem with just about every referee he's been given...)

And before I close, pieces of information for the whiner(s)... your calls for 3 second violations are simply absurd... Not even in the NBA (like our friends from PCCE calmly pointed out) are 3 second violations called as vigorously as we do here... And you say that isn't enough... You're NOT a professional and neither is anyone else on this campus... So finally here goes my advice to you... Suck it up and be a man... It's a game... Enjoy it... Don't ruin it for all of us...

No comments:

Post a Comment