Saturday, August 22, 2009

NOTA - Right or Wrong??

Elections are always full of surprises... They are filled with suspense and excitement... And generally a candidate would go in knowing that it's definitely one of the contestants who is going to win... But what if that wasn't a sure thing??? What if you could have a scenario where none of them wins??? That is the exact definition of "NOTA" or "None Of The Above"...



Now there are different scenarios in which NOTA could get a person's vote...
1. It's the "k3wl" thing to do...
2. The person doesn't give a crap but still wishes to perform his/her duty...
3. The candidates are all bad...

Now when a person lets people know that he's in favour of NOTA reactions vary from "Wow that's so cool... I'm going to do it too..." to "just be happy with what you have, vote for somebody and get it over with"... Of all possible reactions its the latter-mentioned one I hate the most... Why be satisfied with what you have when you can do better... George Bernard Shaw once said, "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself... Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man..." I say be unreasonable... Don't settle for less... Why should you??? Are you so unimportant that you have to pick your leader from a pile of rubbish??? Does it not matter to you that if a bad candidate should win you would suffer for that entire term because of your unwillingness to be unreasonable???

Another phrase I've heard and hate is "You didn't have the guts to stand, now don't complain..." To those guys I ask, what would you do if this was a real government election... What if your options were between a rapist, a murderer and a paedophile??? Would you tell me to vote for them??? Would you tell me to accept one of them as my leader??? Or would you tell me to be unreasonable and go against them all??? Wouldn't you tell me that NOTA is the best way to deal this situation??? Would you ask me why I didn't fight the election and use that as an argument against NOTA??? My argument might seem an over exaggeration but it's an amplification of the situation before us... The focus of the discussion at the moment should not be why I didn't stand or why you didn't... Our focus instead should be on whether or not you are willing to accept a bad leader??? If you are, you are weak... And the world in which we live in will never develop... That's because development will happen only when we be unreasonable... So be unreasonable... Be the change... Vote for NOTA!!!

1 comment:

  1. http://www.indiblogger.in/bloggermeet.php?id=51&comm=y

    Bloggers' meet in Vasco.

    Contact if interested

    ReplyDelete